“The moon belongs to everyone, the best things in life are free…” (lyrics by Buddy De Sylva and Lew Brown)
These lyrics make a profound statement. Simple things can bring us joy. Many of them cost little or nothing. A wonderful resource for simple pleasures is “Simple Pleasures of the Home” by Susannah Seton. (You may locate a copy of this book under “Fun Stuff to Buy” at the bottom of this page.) When I need a new idea to add to my repertoire, I often flip the pages of this book. Here are a few of my winter favorites:
- Eating dinner by candle light. (we also breakfast by candlelight on December 13th.)
- Baking cookies with the family.
- Making & eating smores.
- Lighting a fire in the fireplace.
- Playing in the snow with the dogs and my daughter.
- Curling up with a blanket and cup of hot tea while reading a book.
- Singing with friends or family.
- Playing holiday music while decorating.
Pleasurable moments can help relieve stress. So taking a little time with small pleasures can be important to your health. You will notice there is a mixture of alone and group items on my pleasure list. Fun with family & friends helps build relationships and builds on positive memories.
So why not bring some simple pleasure (and maybe some music) to your life?
- Too much stress? Try pleasure. (psychologytoday.com)
- Simple Pleasures: forget our stressed-out world (telegraph.co.uk)